From Texas Grandeur to Seattle Chic
February 20, 2013
I recently had the pleasure of assisting a couple who relocated from Texas to Seattle. Their Texas-sized furniture was too big for their new downtown condo, so I stepped in to bring the perfect scale and solution to their urban 15th floor view of downtown Seattle.
These are the steps I took:
- Replaced the heavy, rectangular wood coffee table with a smaller, glass-topped round table to create a more open feel
- Reduced the size and lightened the color of the matching chair and ottoman
- Added a mirror to create the illusion of space
- Changed out the lighting to beautiful, amber tinted lamp shades (the owner loves orange) located to maintain the view but also to provide reading and ambient lighting
- Replaced the large, overstuffed sofa with a smaller, more compact (but softer and more comfortable) sectional/chaise combination
- Added a warm area rug to better define the seating area and add soft texture to the room
- Added much needed storage – one of the biggest challenges of condo living
The palette is charcoal, soft yellow, with touches of orange.
Here’s a better view of the area rug:
Area Rug by Surya
One of the lamps we used:
Arteriors Home lamp
If you’re looking for a savvy Seattle interior designer who can guide you in downsizing (or upsizing, for that matter!), we’re here for you. Contact us today….